***Recipes have been moved to their own tab at the top right of this blog.


Are You Kidding Me?

Studies have shown that those who track what they're eating each day, as in write it down, are more successful in losing or maintaining weight.  While checking the nutrition totals for the two containers of sour cream I had just added to a recipe, I became painfully aware that sour cream isn't necessarily just sour cream.  (My spell checker went nuts on this post.)

Wal-Mart brand ingredients: Grade A cultured cream, enzyme

Harmons brand ingredients:  cultured milk, cream, whey, modified food starch, sodium phosphate, guar gum, sodium citrate, carrageenan, calcium sulfate, potasium sorbate, locust bean gum.

Buyer beware; it pays to read.

4 comments:

  1. Wow - I would never have realized! I'll start reading my sour cream labels now. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a fluke for me. Shopping trips are now taking longer because I'm flipping everything over and reading exactly what the manufacturers are trying to feed me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just checked the container of MEADOW GOLD sour cream in my fridge. It has all the same crap as the Harmons brand. I was shocked. Guess I'm switching from Fresh Market to the Wal-Mart grocery?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scary, isn't it? Wish I'd wised up years ago.

    ReplyDelete